ABOUT SPG in 2008
Sustainable Pacific Grove in 2008
( back to About Us for this year. )
What we have done in 2008
1. Creating the GREEN SPOT - together with Surfrider Foundation and Applied Solar, SPG started the work on making the corner of Pine and Forest a Sustainability Resource Center for Pacific Grove Good Old Days, 2008.
a. Plantings are in and they are marked with "chalk talk".
2. PG Farmers Market Sustainable Pacific Grove continues its commitment to the the establishment of a weekly farmers market in Pacific Grove.
3. Fog Catchers - SPG sponsored a Saturday workshop on how to make a fog catcher to gather water from fog for yourself. Workshop will be presented by Dan Fernandez, Professor at CSUMB and Tyler Frome, graduate of CSUMB.
4. Good Old Days 2008, April 12 and 13 - SPG had lots going on check out what was happening at the Green Spot ( Besides the table on Lighthouse ).
5. PG Bans Styrofoam, April 16 - An SPG member sat on the task force to draft a model
ordinance banning styrofoam take-out containers. The draft ordinance was passed unanimously
at the Monterey Regional Waste District meeting in March and then issued to every city in
the county and to the Board of Supervisors.
April 16, the City of Pacific Grove was the first to pass the ordinance with a unanimous council.
Marina will hear the ordinance May 6th and Monterey will vote later in May.
6. Local Climate Change -
On September 13th, 2008, The Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History,
in cooperation with Sustainable Pacific Grove, sponsored a panel discussion about the
effects of global climate change on our local area. Local meant primarily
the Monterey Peninsula but extending into the Salinas Valley.
7. Compost Making - SPG sponsored an evening presentation on how to make a compost for your own use. This was at the regular SPG Tuesday evening on May 6.
SPG WORK PROGRAM 2008
|Updated February 15, 2010.|
Return to About Us.